Wildwood Saskatoon Townhouses and Condos for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Thinking of a Detached home in Wildwood?
Wildwood Saskatoon; A brief history
Wildwood is a primarily residential neighbourhood located in the southeast part of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It includes part of the 8th Street business district. The majority of its residents live in townhouse or apartment-style multiple unit dwellings, with a sizeable minority of low-density, single detached dwellings. As of 2016, the area is home to 7,645 residents. The neighbourhood has an average family income of $37,770, a home ownership rate of 67.0% and an average home sale price of $300,327.
Before being part of Saskatoon, the land for Wildwood was used for agriculture. It includes part of the Sutherland Moraine, a ridge that forms a local topographic high. George Stephenson, who ranched in the Dundurn area in the 1880s, operated a dairy farm along 8th Street until 1911. The intersection of 8th Street and Central Avenue (now Acadia Drive) was referred to as “Stephenson’s Corner” for many years. The streetcar line from Saskatoon to Sutherland ran east down 8th Street and turned north into Sutherland.
The Wildwood Golf Course existed before any residential development occurred. It opened on July 1, 1931, and was Saskatoon’s first golf course. As well, the Saskatoon Stock Car Racing Association operated a racing oval on land between the present-day Moss Avenue and McKercher Drive. In 1968, the SSRCA had to find another home when the City of Saskatoon announced its intention to expand eastward and annex the land.
The land where Wildwood now exists was annexed in the period between 1970 and 1974, and the golf course’s name was chosen for the name of the new neighbourhood. Home construction was at its peak from 1971 until 1980. Wildwood School opened on May 9, 1978. Bishop Pocock School opened in 1978, and the Lakewood Civic Centre was opened in 1988. en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license