Silverwood Heights Saskatoon Townhouses and Condos for Sale
The Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® (SRAR) IDX Reciprocity listings are displayed in accordance with SRAR's MLS® Data Access Agreement and are copyright of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS®. The above information is from sources deemed reliable but should not be relied upon without independent verification. The information presented here is for general interest only, no guarantees apply. The data provided must only be used by consumers for the purpose of listing and purchasing real estate and may not be used for any commercial purpose. IDX websites do not provide full access to the MLS® System or the data therein. Third party subscriber: iHomefinder, Inc. MLS® System data of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® displayed on this site is refreshed at least once every 12 hours. Last update time is shown below.
Thinking of a Detached home in Silverwood Heights?
Silverwood Heights Saskatoon; A brief history
Silverwood Heights is a mostly residential neighbourhood located in north-central Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It is a suburban subdivision, composed mostly of single detached dwellings and some multiple-unit apartment and semi-detached dwellings. As of 2009, the area is home to 10,786 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a middle to high-income area, with an average family income of $93,772, an average dwelling value of $324,547 and a home ownership rate of 78.8%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $399,760. By land area and population, Silverwood Heights is the largest subdivision in Saskatoon.
The land that is now occupied by Silverwood Heights was originally owned by a number of parties. They included an 1891 grant to the Temperance Colonization Society, who established the first permanent settlement in the Saskatoon area (Nutana); a farmer from Great Britain, John Malcolm Mark, who obtained land for a homestead in 1900; and Cleeve W. Taylor, another homesteader.
William Alexander “Billy” Silverwood arrived in Saskatoon from Ontario in about 1907 and bought land two miles (3 km) north of the city limits. A livestock dealer by occupation, he built a large barn on his land (known as the Silver Springs Farm) to house his horses and cattle. By 1911, he opened the Silverwood Springs bottling plant, using spring water found on his farm. Saskatoon did not yet have a safe drinking water supply, and deaths caused by typhoid fever from contaminated well water were common. Until the city completed its own filtration system, Silverwood’s bottled water was a popular commodity. en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license