King George Saskatoon Townhouses and Condos for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Thinking of a Detached home in King George?
King George Saskatoon; A brief history
King George is an older inner city neighbourhood located near the centre of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It consists mostly of low-density, single detached dwellings. As of 2011, the area is home to 1,902 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a lower-income area with an average family income of $47,581, an average dwelling value of $146,941 and a home ownership rate of 69.1%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $198,822.
A buffalo kill site was found in the King George area, documenting its history back 6000 years. 
In modern times, the neighbourhood was surveyed in 1907 and originally named Riverview. After the arrival of the Barr Colonists in 1903, the land now referred to as Victoria Park (named after Queen Victoria) was sold to settler and entrepreneur, Frank Butler. Shortly thereafter, the land was subdivided and housing constructed despite an earlier plan that identified the riverbank be reserved for public use. When the City of Saskatoon acquired the land for recreational park purposes, all of the Butler subdivision (with the exception of the gardener’s residence) was removed.
In 1911, the Public School Board decided to relocate Prince of Wales School to the present site of King George School at 721 Avenue K South. In 1912 the name of the school was changed to honour King George V. Around 1929 the neighbourhood was renamed to incorporate the name of the new public school, and the boundary was redrawn to include the west portion of Spadina Crescent, along Victoria Park. The new boundaries also enclosed an area called Andrews Addition, identified on a 1913 map of registered subdivisions.
Saskatoon’s Municipal Swimming Pool (now Riversdale Pool) on Avenue H in Victoria Park opened on July 15, 1925, replacing the “swimming hole” cordoned off at the river’s edge. Filtration and chlorination systems were primitive, and the pool was quickly dubbed the “Avenue Itch” pool. Despite having “its own peculiar smell, which was obvious for blocks”, the pool was hugely popular with the people of Saskatoon. During the Great Depression, admission was “five cents if you had it, free if you didn’t”.
The housing stock in King George was mostly built before 1960, with a slight majority being constructed prior to World War II. In 1980, the Saskatoon Public School Board designated King George as an Interagency Community School, being one of the first in the province to receive that designation. en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license