Haultain Saskatoon Detached Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Haultain Saskatoon; A brief history
Haultain is a mostly residential neighbourhood located in south-central Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It is a suburban subdivision, consisting mostly of low-density, single detached dwellings. As of 2007, the area is home to 2,742 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a middle-income area, with an average family income of $47,890, an average dwelling value of $201,503 and a home ownership rate of 59.3%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $316,411.
The west half of Haultain was within the city limits when it incorporated; the land east of Clarence Avenue was annexed by the city between 1910 and 1919. A 1913 map shows that the present-day Haultain area overlaps two registered subdivisions of the day: the Broadway Addition in the west and Victoria Park in the east.
Haultain School was opened in 1924, and named in honour of Sir Frederick Haultain, former Commissioner of Education and later first Premier of the Northwest Territories. The school’s first principal was Miss Victoria Miners. In 1936, she received a Master of Education, making her the first woman in Saskatoon and only the second woman in Canada to earn that degree.
When the school was first constructed, it was on the outskirts of Saskatoon. Many homes had no running water – it was delivered by water truck and residents could purchase pails of water. The school provided Monday morning baths in the school basement, and several homes still had outhouses until plumbing was established. Street railway bus service to Haultain commenced on March 19, 1932.
Home construction peaked between 1946 and 1960. Haultain School was renovated in the 1950s, during a period of rapid school planning and building. Lathey Pool officially opened on July 6, 1955. The J.S. Wood branch library opened next to the pool in 1961, and was named in honour of James Stuart Wood, a former chief librarian. Haultain School closed by the 1990s, and was purchased by the francophone school board. It became L’École canadienne-française in 1995 and offered classes from kindergarten to Grade 12. In 2006, Grade 8 to 12 students moved to a new facility, Pavillon Gustave Dubois, in the Nutana Park neighbourhood.en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license