Adelaide Park / Churchill
Adelaide Park / Churchill Saskatoon Detached Homes for Sale
The Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® (SRAR) IDX Reciprocity listings are displayed in accordance with SRAR's MLS® Data Access Agreement and are copyright of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS®. The above information is from sources deemed reliable but should not be relied upon without independent verification. The information presented here is for general interest only, no guarantees apply. The data provided must only be used by consumers for the purpose of listing and purchasing real estate and may not be used for any commercial purpose. IDX websites do not provide full access to the MLS® System or the data therein. Third party subscriber: iHomefinder, Inc. MLS® System data of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® displayed on this site is refreshed at least once every 12 hours. Last update time is shown below.
Adelaide Park / Churchill Saskatoon; A brief history
Adelaide Park / Churchill Saskatoon is a primarily residential neighbourhood situated in south-central Saskatoon. It is a Saskatoon neighborhood composed mainly of low-density, detached homes. The location is home to 3,693 residents. The neighbourhood median personal income is $44,250.00. The land for the Adelaide Park/Churchill area was annexed by the city in between 1910 as well as 1919, with the remaining southerly piece annexed in between 1960 and 1969. According to a 1913 map the location was separated in two: Victoria Park to the north of Ruth Street and also Adelaide Park to the south. Both were created as Churchill (north) and Adelaide Park (south) – with Ruth Street as the separating line.
In the 1990’s the city redrew the neighborhood boundaries and the neighborhoods were consolidated into one. The format of the streets reflects the metropolitan planning ideologies of the day when the land was created. The north component of the area, developed following World War II, complies with a conventional grid pattern. By the 1950s, the design of household neighbourhoods used a modern-day system of curving residential roads, feeding right into roadways that attached to arterial roadways. Thus, the southerly component of the neighbourhood follows this layout practice.
Churchill School was built in 1956, however worked as a public school for just under thirty years before closing. Hugh Cairns V.C. School was opened in 1960. It was named after Hugh Cairns (VC), a Canadian soldier from the second World War whose home town was Saskatoon. He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest award for valor in battle.
A divisive dispute occurred in 2008 when the Saskatoon Full Gospel Church, proprietors of the previous Churchill School, sought authorization to raze the school and develop a new church and also construct an attached condo complex. Area homeowners whined that the brand-new building would increase traffic flow on domestic roads, as well as clash with the existing character of the neighbourhood. Eventually, Saskatoon city council approved the project.